Wednesday, June 29, 2005

When is it all right to throw stuff away?

I came home with lots of stuff, mainly clothes and books and paper. But I still have to make room for all of it. My bookshelves are almost full, although one of them was half full with stuffed animals. My closet is full. My desk is a mess… So I decided to get rid of stuff, everything I don’t use. And I began the task by clearing the stuffed toys on my shelf… On that shelf I also found other things, such as the tip of the flag pole that I picked up 10 years ago on the main square of the little town I used to live in, in Germany. It made me realize how much junk I collect for the sake of memory.
I also found handcrafts made by the displaced population I used to work with… some of them are nice, and some of them just make a nice memory, you see they gave them to me as a sign of appreciation.
There’s also some birthday presents… from those people who don’t really know me, so I don’t really like them, but still didn’t have the heart to throw away when they gave them to me (I wouldn’t pass them on… that’s how bad they are).
Clothes… well I’ve got tons, and I don’t wear half of them, but I’m always thinking I will sometime. The day before yesterday I finally got rid of the jacket we had done the last year of high school… I had kept it because “how could I get rid of such an important thing!”… but the truth is I would’ve never worn it again…. It was hanging in my dresser the last 8 years.
As a policy I don’t throw books away… even if I know I won’t read some of them again. So that’s that.

I know that I will manage to get rid of some of those memories… maybe I’ll make some sort of inventory… so I won’t forget, and that way I won’t feel so bad, although I don’t really know why on earth I should feel bad. But some of those things will wait until I feel I’m ready to let go…
…I am struggling about that flagpole tip….

(More on my adventures in Peru is still to come...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Raquel said...

Kari, ni pienses en que tirar..yo asi le hago, si no uno se llena de triques!!
Suerte con eso.
Un beso, se te extraña!!

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger marcela en canada said...

Thats a good thing about moving... there are so many things that you dont want to carry souveniers. I say get them out! just because its hard to be attatched to so many things in life... one less teddy bear doesnt change.

11:02 p.m.  
Blogger Raquel said...

Oh no, it does change. It depends on the teddy bear. I just cannot endure the pain of throwing any stuffed animal that my Dad has given me. That's why I am drowning in stuffed animals.
Beso!!

12:55 p.m.  
Blogger Aleksandra said...

Karime!

Well, hello Miss AWOL - what have you been up to these days? (Please don't tell me you've drowned in all your packrat clutter!)

beso!
aleksandra

11:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Adopté un fetito de ángel... jeje!